Re: Collation version tracking for macOS

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Jeremy Schneider <schneider(at)ardentperf(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, "Nasby, Jim" <nasbyj(at)amazon(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Collation version tracking for macOS
Date: 2022-11-24 04:48:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Nov 24, 2022 at 3:07 PM Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com> wrote:
> I'd vote for 1 on the grounds that it's easier to document and
> understand a single collation version, which comes straight from
> ucol_getVersion(). This approach makes it a separate problem to find
> the collation version among whatever libraries the admin can provide;
> but adding some observability into the search should mitigate any
> confusion.

OK, it sounds like I should code that up next.

> Can you go over the advantages of approaches 2-4 again? Is it just a
> concern about burdening the admin with finding the right ICU library
> version for a given collation version? That's a valid concern, but I
> don't think that should be an overriding design point. It seems more
> important to model the collation versions properly.

Yes, that's a good summary. The user has a problem, and the solution
is to find some version of ICU and install it, so the problem space
necessarily involves the other kind of version. My idea was that we
should therefore make that part of the model. But the observability
support does indeed make it a bit clearer what's going on.