Re: [HACKERS] kqueue

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Rui DeSousa <rui(at)crazybean(dot)net>, Torsten Zuehlsdorff <mailinglists(at)toco-domains(dot)de>, Keith Fiske <keith(at)omniti(dot)com>, Matteo Beccati <php(at)beccati(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Marko Tiikkaja <marko(at)joh(dot)to>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] kqueue
Date: 2020-01-20 18:44:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jan 21, 2020 at 2:34 AM Peter Eisentraut
<peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> I took this patch for a quick spin on macOS. The result was that the
> test suite hangs in the test src/test/recovery/t/017_shm.pl. I didn't
> see any mentions of this anywhere in the thread, but that test is newer
> than the beginning of this thread. Can anyone confirm or deny this
> issue? Is it specific to macOS perhaps?

Thanks for testing, and sorry I didn't run a full check-world after
that rebase. What happened here is that after commit cfdf4dc4 landed
on master, every implementation now needs to check for
exit_on_postmaster_death, and this patch didn't get the message.
Those processes are stuck in their main loops having detected
postmaster death, but not having any handling for it. Will fix.