Re: Increase psql's password buffer size

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Increase psql's password buffer size
Date: 2020-01-20 18:12:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org> writes:
> At least two cloud providers are now stuffing large amounts of
> information into the password field. This change makes it possible to
> accommodate that usage in interactive sessions.

Like who? It seems like a completely silly idea. And if 2K is sane,
why not much more?

(I can't say that s/100/2048/ in one place is a particularly evil change;
what bothers me is the likelihood that there are other places that won't
cope with arbitrarily long passwords. Not all of them are necessarily
under our control, either.)