Re: Solaris tar issues, or other reason why margay fails 010_pg_basebackup?

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Marcel Hofstetter <hofstetter(at)jomasoft(dot)ch>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Solaris tar issues, or other reason why margay fails 010_pg_basebackup?
Date: 2024-04-17 08:52:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Apr 17, 2024 at 7:17 PM Marcel Hofstetter
<hofstetter(at)jomasoft(dot)ch> wrote:
> Is there a way to configure which tar to use?
>
> gnu tar would be available.
>
> -bash-5.1$ ls -l /usr/gnu/bin/tar
> -r-xr-xr-x 1 root bin 1226248 Jul 1 2022 /usr/gnu/bin/tar

Cool. I guess you could fix the test either by setting
TAR=/usr/gnu/bin/tar or PATH=/usr/gnu/bin:$PATH.

If we want to understand *why* it doesn't work, someone would need to
dig into that. It's possible that PostgreSQL is using some GNU
extension (if so, apparently the BSDs' tar is OK with it too, and I
guess AIX's and HP-UX's was too in the recent times before we dropped
those OSes). I vaguely recall (maybe 20 years ago, time flies) that
Solaris tar wasn't able to extract some tarballs but I can't remember
why... I'm also happy to leave it at "Sun's tar doesn't work for us,
we don't know why" if you are.