Re: WIN32 pg_import_system_collations

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Juan José Santamaría Flecha <juanjo(dot)santamaria(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WIN32 pg_import_system_collations
Date: 2021-12-15 04:03:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Dec 15, 2021 at 3:52 PM Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 15, 2021 at 10:45:28AM +1300, Thomas Munro wrote:
> > Ah, right. I hope we can make the leap to 0x0A00 (Win10) soon and
> > just stop thinking about these old ghosts, as mentioned by various
> > people in various threads.
>
> Seeing your message here.. My apologies for the short digression.
> Would that mean that we could use CreateSymbolicLinkA() as a mapper
> for pgreadlink() rather than junction points? I am wondering how much
> code in src/port/ such a move could allow us to do.

Sadly, (1) it wouldn't work unless running with a special privilege or
as admin, and (2) it wouldn't work on non-NTFS filesystems. I think
it's mostly intended to allow things like unpacking tarballs, checking
out git repos etc etc etc that came from Unix systems, which is why it
works with 'developer mode' enabled[1], though obviously it wouldn't
be totally impossible for us to require that privilege. Didn't seem
great to me, though, that's why I gave up on it over in
https://commitfest.postgresql.org/36/3090/ where this was recently
discussed.

[1] https://blogs.windows.com/windowsdeveloper/2016/12/02/symlinks-windows-10/