Re: policies with security definer option for allowing inline optimization

From: Dan Lynch <pyramation(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
Cc: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Isaac Morland <isaac(dot)morland(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: policies with security definer option for allowing inline optimization
Date: 2021-04-06 20:16:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > I suppose if the possibility exists that this could happen, perhaps using
> > RLS for selects is not quite "production ready"?
>
> I would not draw that conclusion.

This is great to hear! I'm betting a lot on RLS and have been investing a
lot into it.

> > Or perhaps if the RLS
> > qual/check is written well-enough, then maybe the performance hit
> wouldn't
> > be noticed?
>
> Yes.

Amazing to hear. Sounds like the path I'm on is good to go and will only
improve over time :)

Final question: do you think using procedures vs writing inline queries for
RLS quals/checks has a big difference in performance (assuming functions
are sql)?

Appreciate your info here!