Re: Turning off HOT/Cleanup sometimes

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Turning off HOT/Cleanup sometimes
Date: 2014-09-12 14:10:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 12 September 2014 14:54, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:

> My idea is that we would have a new executor flag, say
> EXEC_FLAG_READ_ONLY; we would set it on nodes that are known to be
> read-only, and reset it on those that aren't, such as LockRows and
> ModifyTable (obviously we need to pass it down correctly from parent to
> children). Then in ExecInitSeqScan and ExecInitIndexScan, if we see the
> flag set, we call heap/index_set_allow_prune(false) for the heap scan;
> same thing in index scans. (I envisioned it as a boolean rather than
> enabling a certain number of cleanups per scan.)
>
> I tried to code this but I think it doesn't work correctly, and no time
> for debug currently. Anyway let me know what you think of this general
> idea.

Thanks for looking at this.

My concern was to ensure that UPDATEs and DELETEs continue to call
heap_page_prune_opt while larger SELECTs do not.

This is achieved without a counter, so after some thought like it
better; simple is good. Happy to progress from here, or you can?

--
Simon Riggs http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/