Re: RustgreSQL

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Jan de Visser <jan(at)de-visser(dot)net>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Joel Jacobson <joel(at)trustly(dot)com>, Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com>, Gavin Flower <GavinFlower(at)archidevsys(dot)co(dot)nz>
Subject: Re: RustgreSQL
Date: 2017-01-10 16:12:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 10:55 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> I'm not meaning to be funny or sarcastic or disrespectful when I say
>> that I think C is the best possible language for PostgreSQL. It works
>> great, and we've got a ton of investment in making it work.
>
> Yeah. There's certainly a whole lot of path dependency in that statement
> --- if you were starting to write Postgres from scratch today, you would
> very likely choose some other language. But given where we are, there's
> just not a lot of attraction in trying to convert to another language.

Really? What language would you pick in a vacuum? The Linux kernel
is written in C, too, for pretty much the same reasons: it's the
canonical language for system software. I don't deny that there may
be some newer languages out which could theoretically be used and work
well, but do any of them really have a development community and user
base around them that is robust enough that we'd want to be downstream
of it? C has its annoyances, but its sheer pervasiveness is an
extremely appealing feature.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company