Re: Remove Deprecated Exclusive Backup Mode

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Remove Deprecated Exclusive Backup Mode
Date: 2018-12-12 04:31:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Dec 12, 2018 at 1:23 PM David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net> wrote:
> I didn't get the impression that Peter was against, he just thought that
> it needed to stand on its own, rather than be justified by the
> recovery.conf changes, which I agree with.
>
> Simon rather clearly said that he thinks we should wait until the next
> release, which I don't see as being entirely against.

Well, nobody is saying that we should NEVER remove this. The
discussion is about what to do in v12.

Most of the features I've been involved in removing have been
deprecated for 5+ years. The first release where this one was
deprecated was only 2 years ago. So it feels dramatically faster to
me than what I think we have typically done.

Actually, I hadn't realized until this discussion that the exclusive
backup interface was actually deprecated -- I thought we were just
recommending the new non-exclusive backup interface should be used.
If we're in a rush to remove this (and apparently many of us are), I
think we should make that warning a lot more prominent, maybe copy it
into a few more places, and back-patch the changes.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company