Re: Remove Deprecated Exclusive Backup Mode

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Remove Deprecated Exclusive Backup Mode
Date: 2018-12-13 18:59:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 12/12/2018 05:31, Robert Haas wrote:
> Most of the features I've been involved in removing have been
> deprecated for 5+ years. The first release where this one was
> deprecated was only 2 years ago. So it feels dramatically faster to
> me than what I think we have typically done.

I was just looking this up as well, and I find it too fast. The
nonexclusive backups were introduced in 9.6. So I'd say that we could
remove the exclusive ones when 9.5 goes EOL. (That would mean this
patch could be submitted for PostgreSQL 13, since 9.5 will go out of
support around the time PG13 would be released.)