Re: proposal: alternative psql commands quit and exit

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Geoff Winkless <pgsqladmin(at)geoff(dot)dj>
Cc: Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: proposal: alternative psql commands quit and exit
Date: 2017-12-12 20:49:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 3:38 PM, Geoff Winkless <pgsqladmin(at)geoff(dot)dj> wrote:
> Well "close" yes, but I like "simpler", and I'm not sure I like the
> idea of waiting for someone to flail at the quit command before giving
> them a hint.

I think a patch that adds a line to every prompt for everyone all the
time and has to be explicitly turned off is not something that most
people here are going to be willing to consider. -1 from me, for a
start.

> Also, to be frank, if someone's typed "quit<cr>" and you're going to
> perform an action based on it, it feels like you might as well quit -
> a bit like google saying "did you mean \q" in its sneering
> supercilious way.

Well, I don't agree; the reasons why have already been discussed
upthread, so I won't repeat them here.

Also, I think you're attributing a lot of emotion to Google's
auto-correct. While it is not without its flaws, it is right about
what I meant more often than it is wrong, and there are a lot of
people who are worse at spelling than I am (not that I'm perfect or
anything). Accuracy aside, I am fairly sure that it is an emotionless
software artifact incapable either of sneering or superciliousness.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company