Re: Pluggable storage

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Pluggable storage
Date: 2017-07-15 02:30:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 8:35 AM, Haribabu Kommi
<kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> To replace tuple with slot, I took trigger and SPI calls as the first step
> in modifying
> from tuple to slot, Here I attached a WIP patch. The notable changes are,
>
> 1. Replace most of the HeapTuple with Slot in SPI interface functions.
> 2. In SPITupleTable, Instead of HeapTuple, it is changed to TupleTableSlot.
> But this change may not be a proper approach, because a duplicate copy of
> TupleTableSlot is generated and stored.
> 3. Changed all trigger interfaces to accept TupleTableSlot Instead of
> HeapTuple.
> 4. ItemPointerData is added as a member to the TupleTableSlot structure.
> 5. Modified the ExecInsert and others to work directly on TupleTableSlot
> instead
> of tuple(not completely).

What problem are you trying to solve with these changes? I'm not
saying that it's a bad idea, but I think you should spell out the
motivation a little more explicitly.

I think performance is likely to be a key concern here. Maybe these
interfaces are Just Better with TupleTableSlots and the patch is a win
regardless of pluggable storage -- but if the reverse turns out to be
true, and this slows things down in cases that anyone cares about, I
think that's going to be a problem.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company