Re: New partitioning - some feedback

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Mark Kirkwood <mark(dot)kirkwood(at)catalyst(dot)net(dot)nz>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: New partitioning - some feedback
Date: 2017-07-15 02:49:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 5:46 PM, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org> wrote:
> With utmost respect, it's less messy than adding '!' to the already
> way too random and mysterious syntax of psql's \ commands. What
> should '\det!' mean? What about '\dT!'?

Since \det lists foreign tables, \det! would list foreign tables even
if they are partitions. Plain \det would show only the ones that are
not partitions.

\dT! wouldn't be meaningful, since \dT lists data types and data types
can't be partitions. If you're trying to conjure up a rule that every
\d<something> command must accept the same set of modifiers, a quick
look at the output of \? and a little experimentation will quickly
show you that neither S nor + apply to all command types, so I see no
reason why that would need to be true for a new modifier either.

TBH, I think we should just leave this well enough alone. We're
post-beta2 now, there's no clear consensus on what to do here, and
there will be very little opportunity for users to give us feedback if
we stick a change into an August beta3 before a September final
release.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company