Re: Logging parallel worker draught

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Benoit Lobréau <benoit(dot)lobreau(at)dalibo(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Melanie Plageman <melanieplageman(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Logging parallel worker draught
Date: 2023-05-01 16:33:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Apr 22, 2023 at 7:06 AM Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> I don't think introducing a GUC for this is a good idea. We can
> directly output this message in the server log either at LOG or DEBUG1
> level.

Why not? It seems like something some people might want to log and
others not. Running the whole server at DEBUG1 to get this information
doesn't seem like a suitable answer.

What I was wondering was whether we would be better off putting this
into the statistics collector, vs. doing it via logging. Both
approaches seem to have pros and cons.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com