Re: Mark all GUC variable as PGDLLIMPORT

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Mark all GUC variable as PGDLLIMPORT
Date: 2021-08-24 19:12:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Aug 24, 2021 at 2:52 PM Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net> wrote:
> I don't think that's true of the second proposal in [0]. I don't foresee
> a noticeable runtime cost unless there is a plausible workload that
> involves very frequent updates to GUC settings that are also of interest
> to a bunch of extensions. Maybe I'll take a stab at a POC.

I'm not sure I fully understand that proposal, but I find it hard to
believe that we would seriously consider replacing every direct GUC
reference in the backend with something that goes through an API. Even
if didn't hurt performance, I think it would uglify the code a whole
lot.

And as Peter says, if we're not going to do that, then it's not clear
why extensions should have to.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com