Re: ALTER TABLE ... NOREWRITE option

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ALTER TABLE ... NOREWRITE option
Date: 2012-12-06 00:46:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 6:45 PM, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> Yes, but it is also the trigger writers problem.

Maybe to some degree. I don't think that a server crash or something
like a block-read error is ever tolerable though, no matter how silly
the user is with their event trigger logic. If we go down that road
it will be impossible to know whether errors that are currently
reliable indicators of software or hardware problems are in fact
caused by event triggers. Of course, if an event trigger causes the
system to error out in some softer way, that's perfectly fine...

> If I understand this, Dimitri is planning to include a ready-made
> trigger, so this will both test and show how to use them, as well as
> being a useful application.

Cool.

--
Robert Haas