Re: pgsql: Add new GUC createrole_self_grant.

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgsql: Add new GUC createrole_self_grant.
Date: 2023-01-12 15:11:46
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jan 11, 2023 at 7:53 PM David G. Johnston
<david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Justed wanted to chime in and say Robert has eloquently put into words much of what I have been thinking here, and that I concur that guiding the DBA to use care with the power they have been provided is a sane position to take.
>
> +1, and thank you.

Thanks!

Here's a patch. In it I make three changes, only one of which is
directly relevant to the topic at hand:

1. Add a sentence to the documentation on writing SECURITY FUNCTIONS
safely concerning createrole_self_grant.
2. Add a sentence to the documentation on SECURITY DEFINER referring
to the section about writing such functions safely.
3. Remove a note discussing the fact that pre-8.3 versions did not
have SET clauses for functions.

I can separate this into multiple patches if desired. And of course
you, Tom, or others may have suggestions on which of these changes
should be included at all or how to word them better.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
crsgdoc.patch application/octet-stream 1.8 KB