Re: New EXPLAIN option: ALL

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: Rafia Sabih <rafia(dot)pghackers(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: New EXPLAIN option: ALL
Date: 2019-05-08 20:09:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, May 7, 2019 at 12:31 PM David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org> wrote:
> If you're tuning a query interactively, it's a lot simpler to prepend,
> for example,
>
> EXPLAIN (ALL, FORMAT JSON)
>
> to it than to prepend something along the lines of
>
> EXPLAIN(ANALYZE, VERBOSE, COSTS, BUFFERS, SETTINGS, TIMING, SUMMARY, PARTRIDGE_IN_A_PEAR_TREE, FORMAT JSON)
>
> to it.

This is something of an exaggeration of what could ever be necessary,
because COSTS and TIMING default to TRUE and SUMMARY defaults to TRUE
when ANALYZE is specified, and the PARTRIDGE_IN_A_PEAR_TREE option
seems not to have made it into the tree this cycle.

But you could need EXPLAIN (ANALYZE, VERBOSE, BUFFERS, SETTINGS,
FORMAT JSON), which is not quite so long, but admittedly still
somewhat long. Flipping some of the defaults seems like it might be
the way to go. I think turning SETTINGS and BUFFERS on by default
would be pretty sensible.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company