Re: New EXPLAIN option: ALL

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: New EXPLAIN option: ALL
Date: 2019-05-08 20:03:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, May 7, 2019 at 6:25 PM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Meh --- I don't especially care for non-orthogonal behaviors like that.
> If you wanted JSON but *not* all of the additional info, how would you
> specify that? (The implementation I had in mind would make VERBOSE OFF
> more or less a no-op, so that wouldn't get you there.)

+1. Assuming we know which information the user wants on the basis of
their choice of output format seems like a bad idea. I mean, suppose
we introduced a new option that gathered lots of additional detail but
made the query run 3x slower. Would everyone want that enabled all
the time any time they chose a non-text format? Probably not.

If people want BUFFERS turned on essentially all the time, then let's
just flip the default for that, so that EXPLAIN ANALYZE does the
equivalent of what EXPLAIN (ANALYZE, BUFFERS) currently does, and make
people say EXPLAIN (ANALYZE, BUFFERS OFF) if they don't want all that
detail. I think that's more or less what Andres was suggesting
upthread.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company