Re: Speed up Clog Access by increasing CLOG buffers

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Jesper Pedersen <jesper(dot)pedersen(at)redhat(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Speed up Clog Access by increasing CLOG buffers
Date: 2015-12-16 18:31:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Dec 12, 2015 at 8:03 AM, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

>> I think it might be
>> advantageous to have at least two groups because otherwise things
>> might slow down when some transactions are rolling over to a new page
>> while others are still in flight for the previous page. Perhaps we
>> should try it both ways and benchmark.
>>

> Sure, I can do the benchmarks with both the patches, but before that
> if you can once check whether group_slots_update_clog_v3.patch is inline
> with what you have in mind then it will be helpful.

Benchmarking sounds good. This looks broadly like what I was thinking
about, although I'm not very sure you've got all the details right.

Some random comments:

- TransactionGroupUpdateXidStatus could do just as well without
add_proc_to_group. You could just say if (group_no >= NUM_GROUPS)
break; instead. Also, I think you could combine the two if statements
inside the loop. if (nextidx != INVALID_PGPROCNO &&
ProcGlobal->allProcs[nextidx].clogPage == proc->clogPage) break; or
something like that.

- memberXid and memberXidstatus are terrible names. Member of what?
That's going to be clear as mud to the next person looking at the
definitiono f PGPROC. And the capitalization of memberXidstatus isn't
even consistent. Nor is nextupdateXidStatusElem. Please do give some
thought to the names you pick for variables and structure members.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company