Re: Update comments in nodeModifyTable.c

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Etsuro Fujita <fujita(dot)etsuro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Update comments in nodeModifyTable.c
Date: 2017-06-06 15:30:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jun 5, 2017 at 4:45 AM, Etsuro Fujita
<fujita(dot)etsuro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp> wrote:
> While working on [1], I noticed that the comment in ExecModifyTable:
>
> * Foreign table updates have a wholerow attribute when the
> * relation has an AFTER ROW trigger.
>
> is not 100% correct because a foreign table has a wholerow attrubute when
> the relation has an AFTER ROW or BEFORE ROW trigger (see
> rewriteTargetListUD). So I'd propose s/an AFTER ROW trigger/a row-level
> trigger/. Attached is a patch for that.

That seems better, but looking at rewriteTargetListUD, it seems that
the actual rule is that this happens when there is a row-level on
either UPDATE or DELETE. If there is only a row-level trigger on
INSERT, then it is not done. Perhaps we should try to include that
detail in the comment as well.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company