Re: gaussian distribution pgbench -- splits v4

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Mitsumasa KONDO <kondo(dot)mitsumasa(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: gaussian distribution pgbench -- splits v4
Date: 2014-07-28 15:46:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 12:39 PM, Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr> wrote:
>> 3. Similarly, I suggest that the use of gaussian or uniform be an
>> error when argc < 6 OR argc > 6. I also suggest that the
>> parenthesized distribution type be dropped from the error message in
>> all cases.
>
> I wish to agree, but my interpretation of the previous code is that they
> were ignored before, so ISTM that we are stuck with keeping the same
> unfortunate behavior.

I don't agree. I'm not in a huge hurry to fix all the places where
pgbench currently lacks error checks just because I don't have enough
to do (hint: I do have enough to do), but when we're adding more
complicated syntax in one particular place, bringing the error checks
in that portion of the code up to scratch is an eminently sensible
thing to do, and we should do it.

Also, please stop changing the title of this thread every other post.
It breaks threading for me (and anyone else using gmail), and that
makes the thread hard to follow.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company