Re: Why does WAL_DEBUG macro need to be defined by default?

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Why does WAL_DEBUG macro need to be defined by default?
Date: 2011-10-08 01:10:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 4:06 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
> Robert Haas wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 1:03 PM, Kevin Grittner
>> <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov> wrote:
>> >
>> > IMO, --enable-debug should not do anything but include debugging
>> > symbols. ?The ability to get a useful stack trace from a production
>> > crash, without compromising performance, is just too important by
>> > itself to consider conditioning any other behavior on it.
>>
>> So, should I go revert this change in head and 9.1, or does anyone
>> else want to argue for Heikki's position that we should just leave it
>> on, on the theory that it's too cheap to matter?
>
> I would just fix it in head.

That just seems weird. Either it's cheap enough not to matter (in
which case there's no reason to revert that change at all) or it's
expensive enough to matter (in which case presumably we don't want to
leave it on in 9.1 for the 5 years or so it remains a supported
release).

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company