Re: Enabling parallelism for queries coming from SQL or other PL functions

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, Rafia Sabih <rafia(dot)sabih(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Enabling parallelism for queries coming from SQL or other PL functions
Date: 2017-03-02 10:20:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 5:25 PM, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> When such a function (that contains statements which have parallel
> plans) is being executed as part of another parallel plan, it can
> allow spawning workers unboundedly. Assume a query like select *
> from t1 where c1 < func1(), this can use parallel scan for t1 and
> then in master backend, during partial scan of t1, it can again spawn
> new set of workers for queries inside func1(), this can happen
> multiple times if parallel query inside func1() again calls some other
> function func2() which has parallel query. Now, this might be okay,
> but today such a situation doesn't exist that Gather execution can
> invoke another Gather node, so it is worth to consider if we want to
> allow it.

If we want to prohibit that, the check in standard_planner can be
changed from !IsParallelWorker() to !IsInParallelMode(), but I'm not
100% sure whether that's an improvement or not. I would be inclined
to leave it alone unless we get several votes to change it.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company