Re: use pg_get_functiondef() in pg_dump

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: use pg_get_functiondef() in pg_dump
Date: 2020-08-12 19:54:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Aug 12, 2020 at 4:25 AM Peter Eisentraut
<peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> Here is a patch to have pg_dump use pg_get_functiondef() instead of
> assembling the CREATE FUNCTION/PROCEDURE commands itself. This should
> save on maintenance effort in the future. It's also a prerequisite for
> being able to dump functions with SQL-standard function body discussed
> in [0].
>
> pg_get_functiondef() was meant for psql's \ef command, so its defaults
> are slightly different from what pg_dump would like, so this adds a few
> optional parameters for tweaking the behavior. The naming of the
> parameters is up for discussion.

One problem with this, which I think Tom pointed out before, is that
it might make it to handle some forward-compatibility problems. In
other words, if something that the server is generating needs to be
modified for compatibility with a future release, it's not easy to do
that. Like if we needed to quote something we weren't previously
quoting, for example.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company