Re: Backport of pg_statistics typos fix

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Yugo Nagata <nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Backport of pg_statistics typos fix
Date: 2017-02-08 19:54:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Feb 7, 2017 at 4:22 AM, Yugo Nagata <nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp> wrote:
> I found typos "pg_statistics" in REL9_6_STABLE, but that has been
> fixed in the master branch.
>
> Fix typo: pg_statistics -> pg_statistic
> https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=commitdiff;h=5a366b4ff4ceceb9793fcc13c3f097ee0d32c56d;hp=f7c62462402972b13d10e43f104ca0c0fecb6d08
>
> I think it would be better to backport this to other branches.

We usually leave such decisions to the discretion of the committer,
because back-porting such changes takes time and sometimes it just
isn't that important. Nobody's likely to be confused by a few
instances of writing pg_statistics rather than pg_statistic.
Personally, I favor not back-porting such things in most cases,
because I think patches that get back-ported should be strictly
limited to bug fixes, and typos in code comments aren't bug fixes.
But not everyone has the same opinion on this. What's your reason for
wanting it back-ported?

BTW, looking at that commit, this change looks to have adjusted this
from being wrong to still being wrong:

-<listitem><para>Allow pg_statistics to be reset by calling
pg_stat_reset() (Christopher)</para></listitem>
+<listitem><para>Allow pg_statistic to be reset by calling
pg_stat_reset() (Christopher)</para></listitem>

It's true that pg_stat_reset() doesn't reset the nonexistent
pg_statistics table. But it doesn't reset pg_statistic either. IIUC,
it resets the data gathered by the statistics collector, which is
something else altogether.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company