git push hook to check for outdated timestamps

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: git push hook to check for outdated timestamps
Date: 2015-06-12 13:31:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Could we update our git hook to refuse a push of a new commit whose
timestamp is more than, say, 24 hours in the past? Our commit history
has some timestamps in it now that are over a month off, and it's
really easy to do, because when you rebase a commit, it keeps the old
timestamp. If you then merge or cherry-pick that into an official
branch rather than patch + commit, you end up with this problem unless
you are careful to fix it by hand. It would be nice to prevent
further mistakes of this sort, as they create confusion.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company