Re: INSERT ... ON CONFLICT documentation clean-up patch

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: INSERT ... ON CONFLICT documentation clean-up patch
Date: 2015-10-13 19:35:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Oct 11, 2015 at 8:54 PM, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com> wrote:
> Attached documentation patch is intended to close-out the INSERT ...
> ON CONFLICT documentation items from the 9.5 open item list. I also
> attach a patch that makes a minor adjustment to an error message
> concerning deferred constraints; the problem came to my attention as I
> worked on the documentation patch (where the same minor inaccuracy is
> corrected).

I have committed 0001 and back-patched it to 9.5. In the future,
please remember to include changes to the regression test results in
your patch.

I hope someone more familiar with the new upsert feature can review
0002, perhaps ideally Andres. One comment on that patch is that I
think slash-separated words should be avoided in the documentation;
this patch introduces 2 uses of "and/or" and 1 of
"constraints/indexes". I realize we have other such usages in the
documentation, but I believe it's a style better avoided.

Thanks for your work to tidy up these loose ends.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company