Re: bugs and bug tracking

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Álvaro Hernández Tortosa <aht(at)8Kdata(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: bugs and bug tracking
Date: 2015-10-13 18:41:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Oct 13, 2015 at 08:39:16AM -0700, Joshua Drake wrote:
> On 10/13/2015 08:15 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> >Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> writes:
> >
> >>-1 - imo 50 chars too often makes the commit summary too unspecific,
> >>requiring to read much more.
> >
> >I agree --- I have a hard enough time writing a good summary in 75
> >characters. 50 would be awful.
>
> The idea of writing a commit message that is useful in a number of
> characters that is less than half a tweet sounds unbearable. The
> idea of trying to discern what the hell a commit actually is in a
> number of characters that is less than half a tweet sounds
> completely ridiculous.
>
> -1 on that particular aspect.

FYI, I think we already have two limits for the first line summary of
commit messages. The limits are 64 for commit message subjects and 50
characters for gitweb summary pages --- anything longer is truncated.

My commit template shows me the limits as I am typing the commit text to
remind me of the limits:

-- gitweb summary limit --------------------------

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

+ Roman grave inscription +