Re: IndexTupleDSize macro seems redundant

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Ildar Musin <i(dot)musin(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: IndexTupleDSize macro seems redundant
Date: 2017-11-30 21:48:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Nov 21, 2017 at 9:26 AM, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> +1. I was also once confused with these macros. I think this is a
> good cleanup. On a quick look, I don't see any problem with your
> changes.

One difference between those two macros is that IndexTupleSize
forcibly casts the argument to IndexTuple, which means that you don't
get any type-checking when you use that one. I suggest that in
addition to removing IndexTupleDSize as proposed, we also remove that
cast. It seems that the only place which relies on that cast
currently is btree_xlog_split.

Therefore I propose the attached patch instead.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Attachment Content-Type Size
remove-indextupledsize-v2.patch application/octet-stream 6.2 KB