Re: [HACKERS] 9.5 new setting "cluster name" and logging

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Evan Rempel <erempel(at)uvic(dot)ca>, "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] 9.5 new setting "cluster name" and logging
Date: 2016-10-18 18:25:27
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 6:24 PM, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net> wrote:
> I'm with Thomas on this and I disagree that the "csvlog bloat" argument
> has merit. If we're worried about bloat in csv then we should provide a
> way for users to control what goes into the csvlog, not argue that
> something which is clearly useful be excluded.

I agree, but I think if we do that it would be highly desirable do
something to make the format discoverable. For example, at the
beginning of each file and whenever the format changes, we write some
kind of unmistakable header line into the file identifying what fields
will be present on each line thereafter. It's undesirable for log
analysis tools to need to contain logic that tries (imperfectly, no
doubt) to reverse-engineer the field list.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company