Re: extend pgbench expressions with functions

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>, Tomáš Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: extend pgbench expressions with functions
Date: 2015-11-06 21:15:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Nov 6, 2015 at 3:44 PM, Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr> wrote:
>> 1. It's really not appropriate to fold the documentation changes
>> raised on the other thread into this patch. I'm not going to commit
>> something where the commit message is a laundry list of unrelated
>> changes. Please separate out the documentation changes as a separate
>> patch. Let's do that first, and then make this patch apply on top of
>> those changes. The related changes in getGaussianRand etc. should
>> also be part of that patch, not this one.
>
> Hmmm. Attached is a two-part v16.

Thanks. Part 1 looks, on the whole, fine to me, although I think the
changes to use less whitespace and removing decimal places in the
documentation are going in the wrong direction. That is:

- About 67% of values are drawn from the middle <literal>1.0 / threshold</>
+ About 67% of values are drawn from the middle <literal>1/param</>,

I would say 1.0 / param, just as we used to say 1.0 / threshold. Any
reason why not? That's easier to read IMHO and makes it more clear
that it's integer division.

I'm copying Tomas Vondra on this email since he was the one who kicked
off the other thread where this was previously being discussed.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company