Re: Online enabling of checksums

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
Subject: Re: Online enabling of checksums
Date: 2018-02-23 14:49:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 9:48 PM, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 11:24:37AM -0800, Andres Freund wrote:
>> I suspect I'm going to get some grief for this, but I think the time has
>> come to bite the bullet and support changing databases in the same
>> process...
>
> I'd like to see that. Last time this has been discussed, and Robert
> complained to me immediately when I suggested it, is that this is not
> worth it with the many complications around syscache handling and
> resource cleanup. It is in the long term more stable to use a model
> where a parent process handles a set of children and decides to which
> database each child should spawn, which is what autovacuum does.

My position is that allowing processes to change databases is a good
idea but (1) it will probably take some work to get correct and (2) it
probably won't be super-fast due to the need to flush absolutely every
bit of state in sight that might've been influenced by the choice of
database.

I also agree with Andres that this email is not very easy to
understand, although my complaint is not so much that I don't see how
the parts relate as that you seem to be contradicting yourself.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company