Re: proposal: psql: show current user in prompt

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Kirk Wolak <wolakk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Corey Huinker <corey(dot)huinker(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: proposal: psql: show current user in prompt
Date: 2023-04-05 13:28:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Apr 4, 2023 at 12:42 PM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Basically, I want to reject this on the grounds that it's not
> useful enough to justify the overhead of marking the "role" GUC
> as GUC_REPORT.

I agree with that. I think we need some method for optionally
reporting values, so that stuff like this can be handled without
adding it to the wire protocol for everyone. I don't think we can just
keep adding stuff to the set of things that gets reported for
everyone. It doesn't scale. We need a really good reason to enlarge
the set of values reported for all users, and I don't think this meets
that bar.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com