Re: proposal: psql: show current user in prompt

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Kirk Wolak <wolakk(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Corey Huinker <corey(dot)huinker(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: proposal: psql: show current user in prompt
Date: 2023-04-04 16:42:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Kirk Wolak <wolakk(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> Changed status to Ready for Committer. (100% Guessing here...)

Basically, I want to reject this on the grounds that it's not
useful enough to justify the overhead of marking the "role" GUC
as GUC_REPORT. The problems with it not going to work properly
with old servers are an additional reason not to like it.

But, if I lose the argument and we do commit this, I think it
should just print an empty string when dealing with an old server.
"ERR02000" is an awful idea, not least because it could be a
real role name.

BTW, we should probably get rid of the PQuser() fallback in
%n (session_username()) as well. It's unlikely that there are
still servers in the wild that don't report "session_authorization",
but if we did find one then the output is potentially misleading.
I'd rather print nothing than something that might not be your
actual session authorization setting.