Re: cleaning perl code

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: cleaning perl code
Date: 2020-04-09 17:47:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 11:44 AM Andrew Dunstan
<andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> We currently only run perlcritic at severity level 5, which is fairly
> permissive. I'd like to reduce that, ideally to, say, level 3, which is
> what I use for the buildfarm code.
>
> But let's start by going to severity level 4.

I continue to be skeptical of perlcritic. I think it complains about a
lot of things which don't matter very much. We should consider whether
the effort it takes to keep it warning-clean has proportionate
benefits.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company