Re: pg_dump ignoring information_schema tables which used in Create Publication.

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Kuntal Ghosh <kuntalghosh(dot)2007(at)gmail(dot)com>, tushar <tushar(dot)ahuja(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_dump ignoring information_schema tables which used in Create Publication.
Date: 2017-05-26 02:45:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 5:06 PM, Peter Eisentraut
<peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> They are the same cases.
>
> a) Create object in information_schema.
>
> b) Create another object elsewhere that depends on it.
>
> c) pg_dump will dump (b) but not (a).
>
> So the fix, if any, would be to prevent (a), or prevent (b), or fix (c).

I guess I'm not convinced that it's really the same. I think we want
to allow users to create views over system objects; our life might be
easier if we hadn't permitted that, but views over e.g. pg_locks are
common, and prohibiting them doesn't seem like a reasonable choice.
I'm less clear that we want to let them publish system objects. Aside
from the pg_dump issues, does it work?

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company