Re: specifying repeatable read in PGOPTIONS

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: specifying repeatable read in PGOPTIONS
Date: 2014-02-09 17:31:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Feb 9, 2014 at 12:10 PM, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> On 2014-02-09 12:00:02 -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
>> On Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 5:06 AM, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
>> > So I still think we should add read_committed, repeatable_read as aliases.
>>
>> Like Tom, I'm -1 on this. This is fixing the problem from the wrong end.
>
> Why? We do have other options with aliases for option values and all
> other enum option has taken care not to need spaces.

I think that's probably mostly a happy coincidence; I'm not committed
to a policy of ensuring that all GUCs can be set to whatever value you
want without using the space character. Besides, what's so special
about enum GUCs? There can certainly be spaces in string-valued GUCs,
and you're not going to be able to get around the problem there with
one-off kludges.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company