Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Tolerate timeline switches while "pg_basebackup -X fetch" is run

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)iki(dot)fi>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Tolerate timeline switches while "pg_basebackup -X fetch" is run
Date: 2013-02-01 19:46:52
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 1:55 PM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>> Tolerate timeline switches while "pg_basebackup -X fetch" is running.
>
> I just noticed that this commit introduced a few error messages that
> have a file argument which is not properly quoted:
>
> + ereport(ERROR,
> + (errcode_for_file_access(),
> + errmsg("requested WAL segment %s has already been removed",
> + filename)));
>
> + ereport(ERROR,
> + (errmsg("could not find WAL file %s", startfname)));
>
> The first one seems to come from e57cd7f0a16, which is pretty old so
> it's a bit strange that no one noticed.
>
> Not sure what to do here ... should we just update everything including
> the back branches, or just leave them alone and touch master only?

-1 from me on any message changes in the back-branches. It's not
worth confusing large parsing software that's already out there, and
it's definitely not worth forcing people to make the regex contingent
on which *minor* version is in use. But +1 for making it consistent
in HEAD.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company