Re: psql: Add role's membership options to the \du+ command

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pavel Luzanov <p(dot)luzanov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, David Zhang <david(dot)zhang(at)highgo(dot)ca>, "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: psql: Add role's membership options to the \du+ command
Date: 2023-04-04 17:29:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Apr 4, 2023 at 1:12 PM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> I wonder if, while we're here, we should apply the idea of
> joining-with-newlines-not-commas to the attributes column too.
> That's another source of inconsistency in the proposed display.

That would make the column narrower, which might be good, because it
seems to me that listing the memberships could require quite a lot of
space, both vertical and horizontal.

There can be any number of memberships, and each of those memberships
has a grantor and three flag bits (INHERIT, SET, ADMIN). If some user
with a long username has been granted membership with all three of
those flags by a grantor who also has a long username, and if we show
all that information, we're going to use up a lot of horizontal space.
And if there are many such grants, also a lot of vertical space.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com