Re: psql: Add role's membership options to the \du+ command

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pavel Luzanov <p(dot)luzanov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, David Zhang <david(dot)zhang(at)highgo(dot)ca>, "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: psql: Add role's membership options to the \du+ command
Date: 2023-04-04 17:37:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Tue, Apr 4, 2023 at 1:12 PM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> I wonder if, while we're here, we should apply the idea of
>> joining-with-newlines-not-commas to the attributes column too.

> That would make the column narrower, which might be good, because it
> seems to me that listing the memberships could require quite a lot of
> space, both vertical and horizontal.

Right, that's what I was thinking.

> There can be any number of memberships, and each of those memberships
> has a grantor and three flag bits (INHERIT, SET, ADMIN). If some user
> with a long username has been granted membership with all three of
> those flags by a grantor who also has a long username, and if we show
> all that information, we're going to use up a lot of horizontal space.
> And if there are many such grants, also a lot of vertical space.

Yup --- and if you were incautious enough to not exclude the bootstrap
superuser, then you'll also have a very wide Attributes column. We
can buy back some of that by joining the attributes with newlines.
At some point people are going to have to resort to \x mode for this
display, but we should do what we can to put that off as long as we're
not sacrificing readability.