Re: 64-bit queryId?

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 64-bit queryId?
Date: 2017-10-04 14:04:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Oct 4, 2017 at 9:49 AM, Michael Paquier
> I am still on the learning curve with pg_stat_statements... This still
> does not look complete to me. pgss_hash_fn only makes use of the last
> four bytes of the query ID. What about computing the hash using as
> also the first four bytes? With the current code, if the last four
> bytes of two queries match then they would be counted together looking
> at pgss_store().

Not really; dynahash won't merge two keys just because their hash
codes come out the same. But you're right; that's probably not the
best way to do it. TBH, why do we even have pgss_hash_fn? It seems
like using tag_hash would be superior.

> I have spotted as well this comment in pg_stat_statements.c:
> /* Increment the counts, except when jstate is not NULL */
> if (!jstate)
> I think that this should be "when jstate is NULL".

I think that you're right, but that's unrelated to this patch.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company