Re: Skip temporary table schema name from explain-verbose output.

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Amul Sul <sulamul(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(dot)riggs(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Skip temporary table schema name from explain-verbose output.
Date: 2021-07-26 17:15:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jul 26, 2021 at 12:49 PM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> I can't really see any situation in which it's important
> to report the exact schema name of our own temp schema.

It would actually be nice if there were some easy way of getting that
for the rare situations in which there are problems. For example, if
the catalog entries get corrupted and you can't access some table in
your pg_temp schema, you might like to know which pg_temp schema
you've got so that you can be sure to examine the right catalog
entries to fix the problem or understand the problem or whatever you
are trying to do. I don't much care exactly how we go about making
that information available and I agree that showing pg_temp_NNN in
EXPLAIN output is worse than just pg_temp. I'm just saying that
concealing too thoroughly what is actually happening can be a problem
in the rare instance where troubleshooting is required.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com