Re: New strategies for freezing, advancing relfrozenxid early

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, Matthias van de Meent <boekewurm+postgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, John Naylor <john(dot)naylor(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: New strategies for freezing, advancing relfrozenxid early
Date: 2023-01-27 14:53:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jan 26, 2023 at 6:37 PM Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie> wrote:
> > I don't see what your reference to checkpoint timeout is about here?
> >
> > Also, as I mentioned before, the problem isn't specific to checkpoint_timeout
> > = 1min. It just makes it cheaper to reproduce.
>
> That's flagrantly intellectually dishonest.

This kind of ad hominum attack has no place on this mailing list, or
anywhere in the PostgreSQL community.

If you think there's a problem with Andres's test case, or his
analysis of it, you can talk about those problems without accusing him
of intellectual dishonesty.

I don't see anything to indicate that he was being intentionally
dishonest, either. At most he was mistaken. More than likely, not even
that.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com