Re: RLS feature has been committed

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, "Brightwell, Adam" <adam(dot)brightwell(at)crunchydatasolutions(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Dean Rasheed <dean(dot)a(dot)rasheed(at)gmail(dot)com>, Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Yeb Havinga <yeb(dot)havinga(at)portavita(dot)nl>
Subject: Re: RLS feature has been committed
Date: 2014-09-26 14:52:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 5:12 AM, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> On 26 September 2014 08:48, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com> wrote:
>> But in many cases, lack of good documentation makes even reviewing the patch
>> difficult. How do you determine if the patch works as intended, if you don't
>> know what it's supposed to do?
>
> Exactly.
>
> Lack of review and lack of consensus are often caused by the author
> not making the patch fully and genuinely accessible to peer review.
> Don't say you're having problems getting buy in when you've done very
> little to encourage that. Committing early is not the solution.

That is quite true.

Furthermore, in this particular case, I had already put a lot of
effort into reviewing the patch and had expressed a clear intention to
put in more. If the worst that happens is that the patch has a few
bugs, no great harm will have been done by committing it. Things get
a lot more thorny if there are still design-level issues. I think we
made a lot of progress on those issues in previous rounds of review,
but I'm not sure we squashed them all, and I didn't appreciate having
that process short-circuited.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company