Re: [HACKERS] Custom compression methods

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, Jaime Casanova <jcasanov(at)systemguards(dot)com(dot)ec>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, Ildus Kurbangaliev <i(dot)kurbangaliev(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dmitry Dolgov <9erthalion6(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Custom compression methods
Date: 2021-03-24 15:11:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Mar 24, 2021 at 7:45 AM Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> I have anyway created a patch for this as well. Including all three
> patches so we don't lose track.
>
> 0001 ->shows compression method for the index attribute in index describe
> 0002 -> fix the reported bug (test case included)
> (optional) 0003-> Alter set compression for index column

As I understand it, the design idea here up until now has been that
the index's attcompression values are irrelevant and ignored and that
any compression which happens for index attributes is based either on
the table attribute's assigned attcompression value, or the default.
If that's the idea, then all of these patches are wrong.

Now, a possible alternative design would be that the index's
attcompression controls compression for the index same as a table's
does for the table. But in that case, it seems to me that these
patches are insufficient, because then we'd also need to, for example,
dump and restore the setting, which I don't think anything in these
patches or the existing code will do.

My vote, as of now, is for the first design, in which case you need to
forget about trying to get pg_attribute to have the right contents -
in fact, I think we should set all the values there to
InvalidCompressionMethod to make sure we're not relying on them
anywhere. And then you need to make sure that everything that tries to
compress an index value uses the setting from the table column or the
default, not the setting on the index column.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com