Re: default result formats setting

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: default result formats setting
Date: 2021-03-24 14:58:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> But ... if it's just a GUC, it can be set by code on the server side
> that the client knows nothing about, breaking the client. That seems
> pretty bad to me.

It's impossible for the proposed patch to break *existing* clients,
because they all send requested format 0 or 1, and that is exactly
what they'll get back.

A client that is sending -1 and assuming that it will get back
a particular format could get broken if the GUC doesn't have the
value it thinks, true. But I'd argue that such code is unreasonably
non-robust. Can't we solve this by recommending that clients using
this feature always double-check which format they actually got?
ISTM that the use-cases for the feature involve checking what data
type you got anyway, so that's not an unreasonable added requirement.