Re: Options OUTPUT_PLUGIN_* controlling format are confusing (Was: Misleading error message in logical decoding)

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Options OUTPUT_PLUGIN_* controlling format are confusing (Was: Misleading error message in logical decoding)
Date: 2014-09-29 15:06:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 9:03 AM, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
>> - except that changes are returned as <type>bytea</type>.
>> + except that changes are returned as <type>bytea</type> and that it
>> can
>> + be used on slots using output plugins that only support binary
>> output.
>
> Imo that's pretty much implied because it references the !binary
> version. But I guess it doesn't hurt to be explicit. How about:
> " ... on output plugins using any form of output, including binary."?

I think you should just leave it alone. There's no problem with what
it says there right now. It goes without saying that if the plugin
can only return bytea, then you have to use the bytea-returning
function to get it. If it's not clear that such plugins might exist,
that needs to be clarified better elsewhere, not here.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company