Re: Options OUTPUT_PLUGIN_* controlling format are confusing (Was: Misleading error message in logical decoding)

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Options OUTPUT_PLUGIN_* controlling format are confusing (Was: Misleading error message in logical decoding)
Date: 2014-09-29 13:03:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2014-09-29 21:48:08 +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 7:50 PM, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
> wrote:
>
> > What about the attached patch then?
> >

> Thanks for this update. This looks good. Here are a couple of small
> comments:
> 1) This sentence is correct English, but I don't recall seeing in the docs
> such a formulation:
> + Can only be used on slots using a output plugin supporting textual
> + output.
> I'd rather rewrite 'It can only be used' or 'this function can only be
> used'. I imagine that you could add a reference to
> logicaldecoding-output-mode as well.

Hm.

> 2) s/a output/an output/g

> 3) The formulation here seems vague as a plugin that generates textual
> output can call pg_logical_slot_peek_binary_changes as well:

I've commented on this before: an output plugin doesn't call
pg_logical_slot_peek_binary_changes - if at all it's the other way
round.

> - except that changes are returned as <type>bytea</type>.
> + except that changes are returned as <type>bytea</type> and that it
> can
> + be used on slots using output plugins that only support binary
> output.

Imo that's pretty much implied because it references the !binary
version. But I guess it doesn't hurt to be explicit. How about:
" ... on output plugins using any form of output, including binary."?

Greetings,

Andres Freund