Re: Hash Indexes

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Jesper Pedersen <jesper(dot)pedersen(at)redhat(dot)com>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Mithun Cy <mithun(dot)cy(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Hash Indexes
Date: 2016-11-30 20:48:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Nov 23, 2016 at 8:50 AM, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> [ new patch ]

Committed with some further cosmetic changes. I guess I won't be very
surprised if this turns out to have a few bugs yet, but I think it's
in fairly good shape at this point.

I think it would be worth testing this code with very long overflow
chains by hacking the fill factor up to 1000 or something of that
sort, so that we get lots and lots of overflow pages before we start
splitting. I think that might find some bugs that aren't obvious
right now because most buckets get split before they even have a
single overflow bucket.

Also, the deadlock hazards that we talked about upthread should
probably be documented in the README somewhere, along with why we're
OK with accepting those hazards.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company